Sometimes a vacation a world away—or even a state away, let alone out of the country—isn’t feasible.
Whether it be pockets emptied from the hurricane deductible, ever-changing school schedules or not enough energy to bus a backseat full of screaming kids to a much-too-far-away destination, sometimes it’s just easier to spend some time off at home for a staycation.
This year, don’t revert to a chore-filled, working-from-home spring “break.” Instead, opt for a stay-at-home-vacation, a.k.a. staycation, and enjoy the free activities, local luxuries and adventures right around the corner. Unplug, step away from the computer and get out (or stay in) for some fun with your family or friends with these local, budget-conscious ideas.
Free Fun & Discount Days
- Student Discount Details at Cinemark Bluffton
- Dubois Park (a.k.a. The Shrimp Boat) on Thursdays before the Farmers’ Market of Bluffton
- Petting Farm at Lawton Stables in The Sea Pines Resort
- Skate Park at Buckwalter Recreation Center
- Sunbathing, Splashing, Shell Seeking and Shark Tooth Finding with a Hilton Head Beach Day
Lend A Hand at Local Non-Profits
There’s no better time than Spring Break to get active in the community. Whether you want to spend a weekend with animals at the Palmetto Animal League, Hilton Head Humane Association or Jasper Animal Rescue Mission or volunteer with The Outside Foundation or Palmetto Pride to clean up the community, the opportunities are abundant. Get your family or church group together and provide a meal or gather food for the Campbell Chapel Community Soup Kitchen, Sandalwood Community Food Pantry and Second Helpings. Help prevent and stop homelessness with Bluffton Self Help and Union Mission or the Hilton Head or Savannah Deep Well Project in both or get out and do some work with Hilton Head Habitat for Humanity. There are several other ways to help, including Volunteers in Medicine, the American Red Cross, God’s Goods and The Literacy Center.
Outdoor Explorations on Your Staycation
- A Day on Daufuskie Island
- Hunting Island State Park and Nature Center in Beaufort
- Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah
- Savannah National Wildlife Refuge
- Savannah’s Fort Jackson or Fort Pulaski National Monument
- Birding with the Audubon Bird Guide App
- Dolphin Research with Spartina Marine Education Charters
- Inshore & Offshore Fishing
- Hilton Head Zipline & Aerial Adventure
- Hiking and Biking: Buckwalter Place Greenway Trail, Pinckney Island NWR, New River Trail in Hardeeville, Spanish Moss Trail in Beaufort, Bike Trails & Beaches on Hilton Head
When the rain comes or the days get a little too hot, head indoors and discover the history of the Lowcountry and culture of the Coastal Empire by visiting some of the many art, history and military museums, as well as historic homes, all around Bluffton, Savannah and Hilton Head.
- Heyward House Historic Center in Bluffton
- Coastal Discovery Museum on Hilton Head
- The Sandbox, An Interactive Children’s Museum
- Telfair Museums in Savannah
- Savannah Children’s Museum
- Savannah History Museum
- Georgia State Railroad Museum in Savannah
- Ships of The Sea Maritime Museum in Savannah
- National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force in Pooler
- Webb Military Museum
- Oatland Island Wildlife Center
- Port Royal Sound Foundation Maritime Center
- Parris Island Museum
- Beaufort History Museum
- Santa Elena History Center in Beaufort
- Morris Center for Lowcountry Heritage in Ridgeland
Feast with Friends
- Host an Oyster Roast & Marshmallow Toast
- Have a Backyard BBQ or Lowcountry Boil
- Go to the Farmers Market of Bluffton on Thursday
- Pick Strawberries at Barefoot Farms or Dempsey Farms in Beaufort
- Local Winery, Brewery and Distillery Tours and Tastings
- Dine Out in Old Town Bluffton, Historic Beaufort or Downtown Savannah
A staycation doesn’t have to mean you stay at home. Enjoy town like a tourist and stay at one of the alluring accommodations in the area to really get the vacation vibe. Whether you choose to rent a beachfront condo on Hilton Head, find an enchanting inn in Beaufort or seek the city life at a hotel in downtown Savannah, be sure to treat yourself this spring.